Here is a short quiz about British chess players. Answers can be found at:
1. Who is the player in the main picture, whose famous mate now bears his name?
2. Scotland, England and Wales have between them produced 46 playing Grandmasters. Of these, 43 are still alive. Name the three who are dead.
3. Who is the current British champion?
4. C H O’D Alexander was a leading British player of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. What were his forenames?
5. Born in 1965, a British player is the oldest in the world’s top 100, as at July 2018. What is his middle name?
6. The 2015 British champion. Who is he?
7. On 20 Aug 2018 he will have his 89th birthday. He has been the chess correspondent of a national newspaper for over 60 years. Who is he?
8. Which British GM won £250,000 on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
9. Who are the current 4NCL champions?
10. Jacques Schwarz was on the receiving end of this Q + R sacrifice by a leading 19th century British player. Who was he?
1. Qxf4 Bxf4 2. Rxh5 gxh5 3 Rxh5 1-0